Looking for Chi flat iron reviews?
Following hours and hours of intense research, we have got you covered with reviews of both the Smart Gemz Magnify and the G2 Digital CHI flat irons.
Want to learn the key features of each iron, what customers think, and how they compare?
Keep reading to find out which CHI flat iron is best for you (or if you should go with a different straightener brand)!
♡ About The Brand
CHI is owned by Farouk Systems Inc, a company that manufacturers under multiple brands such as SunGlitz and BioSilk. It was founded by a hairdresser named Farouk Shami, who aims to provide the best and most advanced American technology to the hair industry – focusing on the environment, education, and ethics.
GVP flat irons are well known less expensive dupes for CHI flat irons.
#1. CHI Smart Gemz Magnify Flat Iron
Full name: CHI Smart Gemz Volumizing Zironium Titanium Hairstyling Iron with Clips and Bag
Dimensions: Flat iron 10 1/2 inch L x 1 inch W: Bag 12 inch L x 7 inch W
Plate size: 1 inch width, 4 inch length
Cord: 9 foot long swivel cord
Voltage: Dual voltage
Extras: Three hair clips and a heat resistant bag. Also available with a mini travel flat iron
♡ Titanium & Zirconium Plates
The one inch solid and scratch resistant titanium plates are built with a combination of zirconium and titanium technology. This ultra durable combination creates a smooth surface for straightening. The high quality plates lock in moisture for a healthier heat application.
The GEMZ model’s zirconium and titanium plates are a significant upgrade from the original CHI Smart Titanium plates. They’re more durable – enduring 100,000 passes, compared to the original titanium model’s 50,000 passes when tested.
They also generate more negative ions than the original GEMZ titanium iron. This means the plates lock in moisture for a healthier heat application – perfect if you live in a humid area!
While the plates are titanium and zirconium based, the flat iron also utilises ceramic heat technology for an even distribution of heat while you flat iron.
♡ Lock In Your Desired Temperature From 370°F to 410°F
Unlike the Sultra Wicked & Wave flat iron, the heat setting for this CHI is adjustable from a low of 370°F to a high of 410°F. There’s three preset temperatures – low (370°F) for fine hair, medium (390°F) for averagely-thick hair, and high (410°F) for coarse hair. However, you can also digitally adjust the temperature in 5 degree increments to find the perfect heat setting for your hair type and desired style.
Once you find the right heat for your hair, you can ‘lock in’ that temperature by holding down the temperature button for two seconds. No need to set the right temperature every time you use your flat iron thanks to the temperature memory function – saving you a little bit of time and hassle in the mornings!
♡ Automatic Shut Off
Forgetful? One of the best features of this flat iron is the automatic shut off function. No need to worry about your house burning down if you forget to turn off your device! Your flat iron will turn itself off after an hour.
It’s also easy to turn off the Smart GEMZ manually. The on/off button is on the inside so you don’t need to worry about accidentally turning it off while you straighten.
♡ Dual Voltage, A 9 Foot Cord, Plus Bag and Clip Extras
It’s a dual voltage iron, so you can use it outside the US in 110/220 voltage outlets.
The Smart Gemz is attached to a 9 foot swivel cord – no need to worry about the cord tangling or getting at those hard-to-reach strands at the back of your head.
Each purchase also comes with a thermal bag featuring two pockets for storage, plus three hairstyling clips so you can section and style your hair easily. It’s also available as part of a set with a full size iron and a mini iron (3/4 inch plates) – perfect for travel!
♡ 3 In 1 – Straighten, Curl, and Flip
The Smart Gemz is specially designed not only to straighten – but also to curl and flip your hair.
The concave floating (flexible) plates are curved – ideal for curls, waves, flips, and adding volume. Additionally, the convex curve of the straightener help to volumize at the roots of the hair.
Because this flat iron features a range of temperature settings, it’s ideal for fine, medium, or coarse hair. Titanium irons perform particularly well with natural hair – some customers with 4a/4b say they really like this model. With small plates (just 1 inch in length), CHI Smart target this particular straightener towards people with shorter hair.
• Section your hair into 3/4 inch sections.
• Bring the flat iron near the root of your hair, being careful not to get too close or you’ll burn your scalp.
• Close the flat iron and glide the straightener through your hair from the roots to the ends.
• Repeat on all other sections of your hair.
• Start mid way through your hair and rotate the iron away from your body to create flips.
• Clasp your hair lightly with the flat iron about 2 inches from your scalp.
• Wrap the end of your hair strand under and around the iron.
• To create looser curls, clasp larger sections of hair. For tighter looking curls, place smaller amounts of hair in the flat iron at a time.
• Pull and rotate until you reach the end of the hair you’ve sectioned.
A manufacturer’s warranty can be requested through customer service.
However, this model is largely discontinued, so it’s not clear if the warranty is still valid.
♡ CHI Smart GEMZ Reviews
Most reviews for the CHI Smart GEMZ are highly positive. Some say it’s the best they’ve ever used, however a few were disappointed.
- Reviewers like that it leaves the hair looking smooth without frizzing.
- Customers are impressed that this flat iron is quick to heat up in just a few seconds.
- Another mentioned it’s easy to achieve straight and smooth, or wavy looking hair with this one tool. Many reviews like it for curls.
- A few reviews noted this CHI model is easy to use, and takes almost half the time as cheaper models to straighten (even for thick, coarse hair).
- Some noted it’s lightweight and glides through the hair easily in one pass without tugging.
- One customer who tried the previous version of this flat iron noticed the difference since the Zirconium Titanium technology update.
- Another said she likes it better than other CHI models she tried, as well as other brands, including: FHI, GHD, Sedu models.
- A couple of customers said it straightens natural 4a/4b hair well. However, the Cortex Steamliner is probably a better option for natural hair.
- It’s an expensive model.
- A few customers had issues with it breaking down, specifically the temperature feature not changing.
- Some reviews said they didn’t like that you can’t change the temperature on the mini Chi flat iron (it’s set around 400°F), and the on/off button is in a different place on the duo set.
#2. CHI Pro
G2 Digital Flat Iron (1 inch or 1.25 inch)
(one 1/4 inch plates)
Full name: CHI PRO G2 Digital Titanium Infused Ceramic Flat Iron
Dimensions: 13.5 x 1 x 6.8 inches
Plate size: 1 inch or 1.25 inch width available
Cord: 11 feet long swivel cord
Voltage: Dual voltage
Extras: Red thermal mat included. Won Best Flat Iron 2015 (New Beauty) and Reader’s Choice Award 2015 (Beauty Launchpad)
♡ 1 Inch or 1.25 Inch For Your Hair Length
This flat iron is available in both 1 inch and 1.25 inch plate widths. The 1.25 inch is better for longer hair. If you have shorter hair stick to the 1 inch model.
♡ Durable Titanium Infused Plates For A Smoother Straighten
An upgrade from the first generation of CHI flat irons, the CHI PRO G2 provides a shinier and silkier look to the hair.
Unlike the G1 model, the ceramic floating plates are now infused with titanium. The result is a quick-styling, longer lasting, more durable flat iron that won’t tug on your hair.
While it won’t work if your hair is wet, you can use this model on slightly damp hair if necessary.
♡ Choose Preset Color Coded Heat Levels or Adjust To Your Perfect Temperature
The G2 utilizes more advanced technology than the G1 CHI flat irons – including customisable features and an all-digital display.
The ceramic heater is built using special technology for a quick heat – it takes only 40 seconds to reach the full temperature. Not quite as quick as the Nume‘s 30 second heat up – but still really impressive.
The G2 Digital ‘mode’ button features color-coded preset temperatures for low, medium, or high heat to suit your hair type. The digital LCD screen performs intuitive temperature control – it displays three different colors when you’ve reached the selected temperature for your hair type and desired style.
Green: 0 – 370°F – suitable for fine hair
Blue: 375 – 395°F – best for medium and wavy hair
Red: 400 – 425°F – ideal for coarse and thick hair types
The color system means it’s easier to identify the right setting for you – no need to remember the exact temperature, just remember the light up color!
Once you turn it on, this flat iron automatically heats to a lower heat of 350°F in less than 30 seconds.
You can also manually adjust the temperature to your preferred level. The temperature moves 10 points up or down when you click the + or – signs respectively.
♡ Auto Shut Off Function
Just like the GEMZ, the G2 ceramic-titanium infused model has an auto shut off feature (although it seems earlier versions of this model did not). Forget to turn your straightener off? Don’t stress about a potential fire hazard – this model should shut itself off after one hour.
♡ Dual Voltage, Ultra Long Cord, With Bonus Heat Mat
Because the G2 ceramic-titanium infused iron is dual voltage, you can easily take it with you when you travel. Just pick up an inexpensive adapter and you can use it anywhere in the world without any electrical issues.
The attached swivel cord is ultra long – 11 feet in length. Much longer than the 9 foot standard for professional level salons! This makes it ideal for salon use, or for extra movement around a room if your mirror is far from your plug socket.
CHI promises a comfortable straightening experience – the G2 digital model is ergonomically designed for an easy grip.
As an added bonus, each purchase comes with a thermal mat to rest your flat iron when it’s switched on. This mat is super useful to prevent any damage to your surfaces while you’re sectioning your hair, or when you just turned it off and it’s still hot.
♡ Straighten, Curl, Wave, & Flip With 1 Tool
While it’s primarily used to straighten and provide volume and shine, the G2 is useful for creating other hair styles, too. Just like the GEMZ model, CHI promotes this flat iron as multipurpose – ideal for curling, waving, and adding flips to the hair.
The floating (flexible) plates are curved at the edges which makes curling your hair much easier.
Because multiple styles are possible, this one appliance helps you save money on buying other tools. No need to carry around a curling iron while you travel! Just use this one flat iron to create multiple looks instead.
Experiment with different temperatures to find the ideal setting to achieve curls or flips on your hair type.
This warranty isn’t as long as the Sutra lifetime warranty, but it’s still more protection than a lot of other brands offer.
The written warranty attached claims that warranties are not valid when purchased online. A few customer reviews from a few years ago found that CHI didn’t fulfil warranty claims if the flat iron was bought online. However, more recent reviews indicate that’s no longer a problem. The warranty promises protection if purchased from an authorized distributor.
Farouk Systems’ customer service department (the CHI parent company) clarifies that warranties are valid online provided proof of purchase, the warranty card, and the tool itself are provided. Customers confirm that the warranty card is included in the box. If in doubt, just contact customer services for peace of mind that your purchase will be covered.
The limited manufacturer’s warranty covers defects or malfunctions caused by faulty materials or workmanship for any appliance that was purchased through a professional salon or other authorized distributor.
♡ Chi G2 Flat Iron Reviews
Again, a lot of customers say this is their favorite hair straightener. Reviews are particularly positive for the 1.25 inch CHI flat iron. However, there are some downsides, too.
- Some customers had success creating spiral curls and flips using the G2 flat iron. One particular review mentioned that the curls hold, and it doesn’t cause frizz on the ends like other flat irons.
- Many noted how quick it heats up. One said it’s the fastest ever flat iron to heat, and she loves that it beeps when the heat is ready.
- Not only does it heat quickly, it also performs quickly. Multiple reviews note that their straightening time was almost halved when they started using this CHI flat iron.
- Some that tried the previous original CHI line said they prefer the G2 model.
- Reviews note that their hair feels and looks softer and healthier when they’ve straightened. Another said her hair doesn’t seem as damaged when using this flat iron compared to others. Some attribute the healthy looking hair to the temperature control feature. (The RUSK CTC flat iron is probably even better for healthy looking hair).
- One hairdresser said she was impressed, and even stated she can tell why it won awards! (The Solano Sleekheat is also popular with professionals).
- A review compared this CHI G2 favorably to the 200 dollar FHI model.
- Some customers like that the on/off switch is in the inside, others found it a bit awkward at first while they got used to it.
- A minority of reviews claimed they had issues with breakdowns. CHI do claim there’s a one year limited manufacturer’s warranty if you run into trouble like this.
- The extra long cord can take up too much space for some. Not the best option if you don’t have much room!
Don’t like the sound of either CHI flat iron? Check out our lists of the best flat irons and flat iron brushes on the market right now!