On the hunt for a new hair steamer? Not sure which one is best for you?
We’ve spent hours and hours digging deep into the hair steamer world to produce a guide for newbies (at the end of the post), and to rank the top five hair steamers on the market right now!
On a budget? Or want the best of the best? We’ll make the hair steamer selection process much easier for you.
Keep reading to find the best hair steamer for you!
♥ Top 5 Hair Steamers
2 in 1 steamers
#1. Best Overall (2 in 1 Hair Steamer): Kingsteam
- Dimensions: Hair Steamer:13x12x20 inches. Facial Steamer:11x9x7 inches
- Power: 330W, AC110-120V
- Inventory: steamer, hair cap, bracket connector, facial sprayer tube, user manual
○ Specially designed for natural hair
○ Facial steamer also included (with an aromatherapy diffusion function)
○ Unique PTC ceramic heater for more effective steaming
○ Auto shut off function and safety approved
○ 30 days full refund or replacement, and 12 month warranty if not satisfied
○ The height is not adjustable
Efficiently and effectively treats your hair via the unique PTC heater steam
The steam helps treat damaged and brittle hair, prevent split ends and breakage, and even helps your hair absorb nutrients. Kingsteam recommend this model for women with natural hair in particular.
Unlike many other steamers, the Kingsteam 2 in 1 contains a special PTC ceramic heater that vaporizes clean water for more efficient and effective steaming. The ion water particles are up to 10 times more effective at penetrating the skin and hair follicles (relative to non-ozone steamers).
Safety features, compact size, plus a warranty and 30 day guarantee
The extra safety precautions provide peace of mind while you enjoy your steaming sessions. This 2 in 1 steamer is TUV and CE approved.
Additionally, the automatic shut off function will trigger if the water reaches an unsafe low level. An alarm will ring until you press the off button.
It’s a compact steamer: easy to transport, and will fit in a salon or a home environment.
Kingsteam provide a 30 day full refund or replacement if you’re not happy with their face and hair steamer! Additionally, the seller confirms via email that this model is protected by a 12 month warranty.
Facial steamer opens your pores for smoother skin
The steamer easily converts from a hair to a facial steamer just by changing the head hood to the spray tube.
The facial steamer ‘opens’ your pores, making it easier to remove oil, dirt, and grime. It also melts away dead skin cells. Steam helps absorb creams and toner properly into the skin.
Kingsteam even claim the facial steam function can replace chemical exfoliating scrubs and peels. For extra relaxation, an aromatherapy diffusion function is also available with this face steamer!
How to use the hair steamer:
- Wash your hair
- Allow it to half dry
- Fill the steamer with water and plug it in
- Press the power button
- Now press the steam button
- The steam will take approximately 5 minutes to appear
- Steam your hair for 10 – 15 minutes
Tip: Do not use a steam cap: allow the steam to fully penetrate your scalp and moisturize your roots
Using the facial steamer:
- Wash your face with your favorite cleanser
- Fill the steamer with water, and press the power button and then the steam button
- Adjust the 360 degree rotatable sprayer to your desired angle
- Keep your face 12 inches away from the steamer at all times to prevent burning
- Steam your face for 10 – 15 minutes (the aromatherapy diffusing function is optional)
Impressive customer feedback for both the hair and facial steamer
Customers are impressed with how quickly they see results in the quality of both their hair and skin after using this steamer. It helps promote hair growth, moisturizes, tackles product build up, and improves hair texture.
Additionally, it makes a real difference to the appearance of pores. Even a professional aesthetician said she was impressed!
However, some reviewers do say they wish the stand was adjustable.
If you’re looking for a high quality 2 in 1 steamer with unique technology and impressive customer feedback, this is a great option for you.
The unique PTC heater provides higher quality steam than other models, and it even features a unique aromatherapy diffusing function!
Customers are impressed with both the face and hair steamers. However, many wish the stand was adjustable.
Kingsteam also offer a 1 year warranty, and a 30 day money back (or replacement) guarantee if you’re not happy with this steamer!
#2. Best Budget (2 in 1 Hair Steamer): Nova Microdemrabraison
- Dimensions: 8.66″ x 6.89″ x 5.63″
- Power: 350W, AC 110-120V
- Temperature of the steamer: 40 degrees
○ Ozone generator (reduces itchiness and prevents dandruff)
○Doubles as a face steamer
○ Humidifier for interiors
○ 320ml water tank allows for up to 45 minutes of working time
○ Auto shut off function
○ Easy & Convenient To Use
○ Heats up quickly
○ Doesn’t take up to much space, easily placed on a desk
○ Easy to clean
○ Can be returned within 30 days, but no warranty
○ Hood is not adjustable to head and neck height.
○ Some customers found it too lightweight, not sturdy enough
This 2 in 1 hair and face steamer has excellent average reviews online
A highly popular choice, this steamer receives impressive average customer ratings.
This one product acts not only as a hair steamer, but also as a face steamer and a humidifier too!
This 350W steamer can heat up to 40 degrees. It moisturizes and hydrates the hair to prevent breakage and split ends. Additionally, it reduces the appearance of dandruff, and allows for the absorption of conditioners and other hair treatments.
After reading the reviews, it’s clear customers are impressed with how compact this model is. They also like that it heats up quickly and it’s easy to clean – great for saving time. Fuss free!
Automatic shut off system, one press button for easy use – but the hood isn’t adjustable
The steamer shuts off automatically when the water level runs dangerously low – an important safety device to keep worries about injury from excessive water spilling at bay, and helps prevent damage to the unit.
The 320ml water tank allows for 45 minutes of working time (but the typical steam time only takes between 10-15 minutes), and it’s easy to use. The fuss-free, one-press button saves you time.
However, some customers did not like that the hood of the steamer is not adjustable. This is not the sturdiest model. It’s lightweight and easy to move but it’s more likely to tip over than more durable models.
Even if you’re just buying the product just for the hair steaming benefits, why not give the face steaming function a try, too?
The facial steamer moisturizes your skin and promotes microcirculation and blood circulation. Steam unclogs pores to remove dirt, oil, and grime, and improves the skin’s ability to absorb nutrients. 2 in 1 models are a particularly good choice to treat and smooth blemish prone or aging skin.
If you want a small, practical, hair steamer that doubles up as a facial steamer (and also works as a house humidifier) this is a good choice on a budget.
While it does have impressive customer reviews, the product does not come with a warranty. For the security of a one year warranty (if you’re willing to spend a little more money), check out the model below.
#3. Most Popular (2 in 1 hair and face steamer): Secura S-192
- Product dimensions: 8.66″ x 6.89″ x 5.63″
- Power: 350W, AC110-120V
○ Ozone generator (prevents dandruff and reduces itchiness)
○ Face steamer
○ Auto shut off function
○ Acts as a house interior humidifier
○ Easy to assemble
○ Lightweight to carry
○ One Year Limited Warranty
○ More expensive than Nova’s model
○ Some customers received a malfunctioning product
○ Can drip if the stopper isn’t secured properly
○ Hood is not adjustable to head and neck height
○ Could be sturdier
A popular choice, especially for natural hair. Comes with a one year warranty for peace of mind.
One of the most popular hair steamers. Like the Kingsteam model, this steamer tends to work well on natural hair. A highly similar hair and facial steamer was previously listed under Kingdom Beauty.
After reading hundreds of reviews, it’s clear customers are impressed with how well it works for natural hair, especially low porosity 3B/3C/ and 4A/4C/4B hair.
Just like the Nova model on our list, this hair steamer also works as a face steamer and humidifier.
Unilke the Nova, however, this model comes with warranty protection. The user manual confirms that this hair steamer is protected by a one year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
Water can drip if the product isn’t drained properly after each use. Make sure the stopper is in properly, and always use towel on your shoulders for added protection.
The steamer has an auto cut off feature that automatically turns the machine off when water levels drop below a certain limit for safety reasons.
Easy to operate – it has one on-off button for sprayers, and another to activate the ozone feature.
A very similar model to the Nova 2 in 1 hair and facial steamer, this is a great choice if you’re looking for a similar product to the Nova model with the added security of a 12 month warranty.
It does come with a higher price tag than the Nova model- this is not the best 2 in 1 steamer on a budget.
Salon Quality, Stand up Steamers
#4. Best Salon Quality Hair Steamer: Mefeir 600W
- Power: 600W, 110V, 60Hz
- Dimensions: 22.83 x 22.83 x 50.79″, 14.77 lbs
- Cable Length: 78.74″
○ Sturdier than household typical models – made from premium ABS housing caster and strong iron base, 4 omni-directional wheels
○ Adjustable height from 42.5” to 50.4” (good for conditioning, priming and dyeing hair)
○ Adjustable timer (up to 30 mins)
○ Two speed options (for more or less mist)
○ Stopper and waste cup included (prevent mineral deposit build up)
○ Overheating protection system
○ Easy to use
○ Leakproof protection
○ Low power consumption and energy saving
○ Only steams up to 30 minutes
○ US Standard Plug only included
○ No warranty available
The unique features and sturdy model can justify the higher price
This salon quality hair steamer is not easy on your wallet, however it does have a lot of unique features compared to the home use models that might justify the higher price.
In contrast with the 2 in 1 models, this is a sturdy steamer. It’s made from premium ABS household caster, with a strong iron base, and four omni-directional wheels for easy transport around a room.
If you’re nervous about your steamer staying perfectly still while you steam, this model’s strength can provide peace of mind.
The steamer works great to steam natural hair, and is also suitable for conditioning, priming and dyeing hair.
Adjust the hood height, speed of steaming, or the timer – however there’s no warranty
The adjustable height (from 42.5” to 50.4”) makes treating hair much easier for salon use (or if you want to share it with your friends).
You can adjust the speed of steaming (add more or less mist) to suit each client’s needs.
The timer is also adjustable, however each steaming session can only last up to 30 minutes, which some customers think is slightly too short.
Unlike the handheld model, dealing with mineral deposit doesn’t require the hassle of a homemade remedy. The model comes with a stopper and waste cup to deal with waste.
Safety features include overheating and leak-proof protection system. This model is energy saving and has low power consumption, which is good on your energy bills and better for the the environment!
No warranty information is available online, so you are taking a risk by buying this product.
However, the risk is mitigated by the impressive high satisfaction rate and impressive average customer review rating.
A high quality, sturdy hair steamer – the impressive features are matched with a high price tag.
This steamers comes with unique features (including adjustable speed, time, and height). It’s perfect for salon use, and can also be used to condition and dye hair.
No clear warranty, however the vast majority of reviewers were satisfied overall with their purchase.
The price tag is worth it if you want a top of the range steamer.
Hand-held Hair Steamers
#5. Best hand-led hair steamer: Q-Redew Hand-held Hair Steamer
- 650W, 120V
○ Style while steaming – moisturize, reshape, detangle, restyle, stretch, hydrate, and deep condition in minutes
○ Compatible with coily, kinky, curly, and wavy hair
○ Convenient, lightweight takes up less space
○ Can use with rollers or clips
○ Can target small sections of your hair quickly
○ Easy to use
○ Great for travel
○ 30 day satisfaction guarantee and 1 year manufacturer’s warranty
○ Cannot be used with a converter or adapter due to safety concerns – patent pending for 240V EU version
○ Can be more time consuming than hooded steamers if you want to do your entire head
○ Can only use distilled water
○ Malfunction issues for some customers
○ The buildup of mineral deposits overtime can impact the steam flow, see solution below
The brush is easier to use than a hooded steamer, and styles the hair while steaming
Unlike the hooded steamers, this brush doesn’t just moisturize, hydrate, and deep condition. It also reshapes, detangles, and restyles when the hair is soft, warm, and moisturized while steaming.
The brush works great for targeting specific areas of hair in mere minutes, however it can take longer to steam your entire hair compared to hooded steamer models.
I’m sure we have all used a spray bottle of water to try help style unruly hair before. The water just lays on the surface of the hair and takes a long time to dry.This brush does what we wish the spray water would do! It warms and softens hair, allows for styling, all while leaving the hair dry to the touch.
Getting ready in the morning can be time consuming enough. Steam and style at the same time to save yourself some minutes in the morning.
The brush uses water to produce a warm mist or steam. It’s easy to use – plug in, add water, wait for the steam emit from the prongs, and then pull the trigger to apply mist when and where you need it.
It can be faulty, but doesn’t come with a 30 day guarantee and 1 year warranty
This model works well with natural, coily, kinky, curly and wavy hair. Women with dry natural 3C/4A/4B hair are particularly impressed with this steamer.
Q-Redew’s steaming brush works without harmful chemicals or ingredients. If your hair is worn out from over-styling, a brush like this can give your hair a break from the damage.
While many reviewers love the product, some customers had issues with the steamer malfunctioning or not working at all.
If you’re worried about your brush arriving to your door faulty, you might be reassured by the 30 day guarantee and one year manufacturer’s warranty.
The product cannot be used with a converter or adapter due to safety concerns. It is therefore not for use in the EU yet: the patent is pending for a 240V EU compatible model.
The buildup of mineral deposits overtime can impact the steam flow.
This can be remedied by diluting a a teaspoon of white household vinegar into the reservoir water and run it through the unit. The vinegar will clear the deposits and the steam will flow again.
Using distilled water decreases the buildup of minerals. If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of cleaning out the steamer, consider the salon quality models instead.
Compared to the hooded steamers, this model is much more small, lightweight, and portable, which makes it a good option for someone who travels a lot.
While it can take longer to steam your whole head of hair compared to a hooded model, it works great to target specific parts of hair in mere minutes.
The brush design allows you to style your hair while you steam.
Some customers have issues with the product malfunctioning, however each purchase is covered by a 30-day guarantee and one year warranty.
Want a flat iron that emits steam while you straighten? Check out the Cortex Steamliner (great for natural hair)!
♥ TL;DR – Which Hair Steamer is Best For Me?
- If you like multi-use products, the 2 in 1 hair and facial (and humidifier) steamers are for you. Kingsteam is ideal if you’re on the hunt for a high quality steamer with impressive unique features (like the special PTC heater and aromatherapy diffusing function). It works especially well for natural hair.
- The 2 in 1 Nova steamer is the best budget friendly option. The Secura S-192 is great if you want the something similar to the Nova model with the added security of a warranty.
- Salon quality models are more expensive. However, they’re much sturdier and come with some great unique features, including adjustable height levels, timer, and speed. They are multi-use in the fact that you can also condition and dye hair with these steamers. The Mefeir model is pricey but has really impressive customer reviews.
- A hand-held model is perfect for people who travel a lot – it’s small, lightweight, and portable. Compared to desk or salon steamers, they allow for styling and work better to target specific parts of hair. The Q-Redew is the best hand-held on the market, and comes with a 30 day guarantee and one-year warranty.
♥ Hair Steaming For Newbies
♥ Benefits of hair steaming
There’s nothing worse than the feeling of dry, brittle, and damaged hair. We pamper our faces with rich creams, and moisturize our bodies to combat dry skin, but we often forget to give our hair some much-needed TLC.
We might use hair oils or a mask every so often – but they can only do so much! Hair steamers add moisture to the hair to remedy dryness, dullness, breakage, and weakness.
Steamers increase the production of natural oils for healthy hair growth, they help repair breakages, and condition deep through the hair to clean out dead skin cells and dirt.
The many benefits of steaming means purchasing a hair steamer is a complete no brainer for anyone that wants silkier, smoother, more moisturized hair.
- Adds moisture to the hair and promotes moisture retention
- Combats against damage caused by the weather (including sun damage, wind etc.)
- Helps to lift hair cuticles to better penetrate deep conditioners
- Promotes hair strength, growth, softness and elasticity
- Enhances natural curl patterns
- Promotes clumping without sacrificing volume
♥ How to use a hair steamer (how it works)
A recommended steaming session lasts between 20-30 minutes, and steamers can be used once a week or twice a month.
Before steaming, you can apply a deep conditioner or hair oils for improved results. It works by adding water to the specified water compartment, and then a heating rod generates steam from the water.
The steam spreads to the steamer hood, where it works its magic on the hair – lifting hair cuticles, improving the curl pattern, and allowing conditioning ingredients to absorb faster. The end result is soft, silky smooth, and hydrated hair. Steamers work particularly well with natural hair!
Clip your hair up and wear a headband to absorb moisture and prevent any water from dripping down when steaming. Don’t cover your head or leave your hair down when steaming (otherwise the steaming process won’t be effective).
Always be extremely careful when mixing electricity and water to avoid electric shocks. After each and every use of a steamer, follow the directions supplied by the manufacturer and make sure that it has drained completely and is dry before repacking it into the box.
If purchasing a steamer from outside the US, be sure that the steamer is compatible with the voltage power in your region.
♥ Do hair steamers damage your hair?
A lot of other heated hair tools can cause damage to your hair.
Not this one.
Hair dryers can remove the moisture from the hair, causing hair cuticles to dry out and become rigid and brittle. Brushing and styling can make the hair even more brittle, causing split ends that reduces the strength, color, and softness and prevent the hair from growing longer.
Hair steamers do not cause this type of damage to the hair when used correctly. Steamers can improve the health of your hair and can help to undo some of the damage caused by hair dryers and straighteners.
Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and note the recommended distance from the steamer when steaming to avoid burning yourself and your hair.
♥ What is an Ozone steamer?
Ozone (AKA. O3) is activated oxygen.
In contrast with regular oxegen, ozone contains three (instead of two) atoms, – the third atom leads to the creation of an active element.
Activated oxygen can be abundantly found near oceans or after a rainstorm. The Ozone name was popularised by the ‘Ozone layer’ (the shield that protects the earth from harmful UV rays).
The beauty industry has only recently utilized ozone to improve the health and appearance of both hair and skin.
Ozone steamers can kill germs, disinfects pores, remove dead skin cells, and help produce an anti-inflammatory effect.
If you have acne prone or ageing skin, the 2 in 1 hair and facial steamers can help make your skin smoother.
Steaming with works great to reduce itchiness, dandruff, and prevent fungal infections on the scalp.
There are over 100 reported benefits of Ozone therapy.
Ozone steaming works great to reduce itchiness, dandruff, and prevent fungal infections on the scalp. Ozone steaming is great for both ageing skin and fighting acne and reportedly enhances Vitamin D formation.
If you like to treat yourself to home hair treatments, you may enjoy some other beauty DIYs!
- Why not check out our lists of the top gel nail lamps and teeth whitening strips?
- Take a natural approach by trying teeth whitening with baking soda.
- Get a bigger pout at home (no injections!) with a lip plumper tool.
- Tackle acne and scarring at home with natural treatments.
- Make your own DIY makeup setting spray.